Loyalty plays an imperative role in any relationship, and friendship is no different. Being loyal is staying true to yourself and your friends and family. Practicing loyalty with friends strengthens the bond. When friends stay loyal, you can trust them at any point in time.
Amid this, every person has a different perception of loyalty. So, we will explore all about loyalty with friends in this article. Let’s dig in.
What does it mean to be loyal to a friend?
When a person shows devotion towards the other person, it is nothing but loyalty. As dictionary.com defines loyalty as “the state or quality of being loyal; faithfulness to commitments or obligations.”
Similarly, a loyal friend complies with all these qualities. They always shower support when it is needed. They show faith and trust in others because they believe in intuitions and ensure that they are of good help to others.
The loyalty of a friend: Signs to look out for
1. They are part of your every success and failure
When you succeed, loyal friends celebrate your milestone, but they do not leave your back when you fail. They stand by your side, rock solid. Most importantly, they are never jealous of your success, which is why your win is like their win too!
2. They always apologize
Every relationship goes through a series of turbulences, and friendship is no different. What come may? A loyal friend always finds ways to make peace when a fight breaks out.
They always set aside their ego to melt the heart of their friend. Only one exception, they will do it in circumstances where their integrity stays intact because they believe in self-respect.
3. They speak the truth
A real and loyal friend does not hide behind false perceptions. Yes, that’s right, they don’t like hurting their friends, but they also don’t like to fake it.
When a friend is wrong, a loyal friend always speaks upfront. Rather they will always try to explain the reason behind their stand. They never believe in fake assumptions.
4. They are always your support system
When going gets tough, we always need a shoulder to rely on. In such situations, a loyal friend always comes to the rescue. Loyalty with friends is not about celebrating good times and enjoyment. The testing time arises when things are rough, and that’s how you will know who is your loyal friend.
They might not agree with your decision at times, yet they will not make you suffer alone.
5. Boundaries are respected
If one friend is having a bad time and wishes to stay alone, a loyal friend will give them the liberty to contemplate and heal.
Loyalty with friends is not always peeping into someone else’s personal life. A loyal friend is always aware of their boundaries and follows them religiously in every situation.
6. They constantly communicate
Loyal friends ensure that nothing goes unheard. Therefore, they believe in healthy and constant communication. They do not believe in hidden agendas, backbiting, unreasonable tantrums, or communication gap.
They always listen and express their thoughts honestly without a tinge of falsification. They ensure that everything remains transparent to cherish the longevity of the friendship.
7. They always spare time
We all have to cater to a hectic lifestyle. Sometimes, we hardly get time to share moments with our family. But when it comes to loyal friends, they always make time for you. They might not come and meet you in person, but they will call or text you!
8. They help you to become a better person
A loyal friend is an epitome of honesty, and looking at them, you feel, “I want to be just like them.” Even this thinking is like a ray of positivity. A loyal friend always imparts inspiring lessons, forcing you to make changes in yourself. Thus, improving your quality of life.
9. They never impart any conditions
In friendship or any relationship, unconditional love is what makes it unique. A loyal friend will never entrap you in conditions. “If you do this favor for me, I will do the same for you” is a baseless remark regarding loyalty to friends. They are willing to sacrifice and do not ask for anything in return.
How to be loyal to your friends
So, these were signs of a loyal friend, but friendship is all about a two-way relationship, isn’t it? So, how will you say attuned and practice loyalty with friends? Don’t worry; we got you covered.
1. Be a good listener to your friends. Every person has their ups and downs; supporting them to the core is what a friend practice.
2. Don’t pass unnecessary judgments. Listen to them very carefully and keep your assumptions and judgments to yourself. Rather respect their thought process.
3. Always maintain transparency in friendship. Don’t give room for unnecessary secrets and backbiting because it will pollute your relationship.
4. Practice forgiveness and do it wholeheartedly. Let bygones be bygones, and cherish this beautiful relationship for life.
5. If you think you are lacking in something, then work on yourself. Mold yourself to become the best person on whom your loyal friend can rely.
6. Always give positive solutions to your friends. Negativity is bad for any relationship, and sometimes, you can keep it at bay. Instead, infuse positivity, and you will see your bond growing beautifully.
So, this was our take on maintaining and cherishing loyalty with friends. Loyalty is a deep connection and so don’t misuse it. Otherwise, you will hurt many people, and there will be no chance to bring things to normal.